Dutch citizens/permanent residents

Get the information you need if you are a Dutch citizen travelling abroad. 

Passport control

Are you going to a non-Schengen country? You will need to present your identification document, such as your passport or national ID card.

You must:

  • Have your identification document ready – take it out of a holder or wallet if you use one
  • Remove your face covering or sunglasses if you are wearing them
  • Pass through passport control together if you are with your family

If you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

You can use the EU, EEA & CH channel to have your passport or ID card checked - this is usually quicker than other channels.

If you are from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

Your passport will be checked at border control.

Self-service passport control (eGates)

eGates use facial recognition technology to check your identity against your passport photo. You can use eGates if you are 14 or older and have an e-passport from an eligible country. For more information, see Self-service passport control.

Travelling with a passport or ID card

As a Dutch national, you can travel to most European countries, Turkey, and Georgia with a valid Dutch ID card. A passport is not needed. If you are traveling outside Europe, you must have a valid Dutch passport. Turkey and Georgia are exceptions - you can visit these countries with a valid Dutch ID card. Some countries require your passport or ID card to be valid for a certain number of months when entering or leaving. For more information, see Travelling with a passport or ID card.

Travelling with children

Sometimes you need consent from the other parent to go abroad with your child. For instance, if you want to go on holiday with your child without the other parent. You need to bring documents to prove that you have permission. For more information, see Travelling with children.

Emergency passport

A valid travel document is needed to travel to or from the Netherlands. In very exceptional cases and under strict conditions, you can apply for an emergency passport. For more information, see Emergency passport.


Whether you need a visa mainly depends on your nationality, destination, and length of stay. For more information, see Visa.