Are you a Dutch national and are you travelling soon? And have you lost your passport or identity card? Contact your municipality (gemeente) as soon as possible to obtain a new document. If needed, you can make an urgent application. If it is not possible to apply for a new travel document before the start of your journey, you can apply for an emergency passport. This is a temporary travel document. As of 1 January 2022, an emergency passport costs €51,00.
Conditions for an emergency passport in the Netherlands
You can only obtain an emergency passport if you meet the following conditions:
- You have Dutch nationality;
- You cannot obtain a passport or identity document in time;
- You cannot postpone your trip;
- The Marechaussee must be able to ascertain your identity and nationality;
- You must ensure that documentary evidence is available (see below).
Do you not have Dutch nationality and do you need an emergency passport? Please contact the embassy or consulate of the relevant country.
Documentary evidence for application of an emergency passport
You need the following documentary evidence to show that you need an emergency passport:
- Travel documents, such as flight tickets and hotel reservations;
- An envelope containing a recently certified copy of the entry in the Persons Database stating your nationality. This envelope must also be closed and sealed by the municipal authorities. Certified means that the document is a certified copy of the original;
- An envelope containing a certified copy of your recent application for a new travel document (RAAS form). This envelope must also be closed and sealed by the municipal authorities;
- A valid proof of identity, such as a Dutch driving licence;
- A recent passport photo that meets all requirements;
- Other travel documents, if applicable;
- If you have lost your travel document: a certified copy of the official document reporting a loss.
Issue of emergency passports
In the Netherlands, you can apply for an emergency passport at the following Marechaussee locations:
- Brigade Grensbewaking, Departure Hall 1, Emergency Documents Office;
- Brigade Noord-Holland, IJmuiden post (near ferry);
- Brigade Drenthe-IJsselstreek, Groningen Airport Eelde post;
- Brigade Oostgrens-Noord, Enschede post;
- Brigade Zuid-Holland, Rotterdam Airport post, Hoek van Holland location;
- Brigade Brabant Zuid, Eindhoven Airport;
- Brigade Limburg Zuid, Maastricht / Aachen Airport.
Emergency passport Caribbean Netherlands (Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba)
In the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, emergency passports are issued by the governors.
Emergency passport Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten
Are you registered as a resident in the countries of Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten or are you staying there? Then you can request an emergency document from the Cabinet of the Governor.
Validity emergency passports
An emergency passport may only be used as a travel document, and not as proof of identity. In addition the emergency passport is only valid for the length of the travel.
Some countries, like the United States or the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) do not allow people to travel with an emergency passport without a chip. People with a Dutch emergency passport can therefore not travel to the US or UAE, because Dutch emergency passports are chipless. In some cases, countries can make an exception for demonstrable emergencies. Such as a death in the family or an urgent medical need. Some countries set additional or different requirements for travel documents, such as visa requirements. For more information, contact the relevant embassy or consulate.
The Marechaussee accepts no liability if your trip cannot go ahead or cannot go ahead on time. The Marechaussee also accepts no liability in case your application cannot be processed in time as a result of a heavy workload.
Emergency passports abroad
Are you abroad and has your Dutch passport or ID card been lost or stolen? Abroad, you can apply for an emergency passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate. You will be issued with a Dutch laissez-passer if it is not possible to issue an emergency passport in time.
Emergency passport for a minor
If you apply for an emergency passport for a minor, both parents/authorised persons must be present for signature. If only one of the parents is authorised by the court decision, you must present this decision. For the rest the same conditions as in other situations apply.