Travelling with children

You must get the permission of everyone with parental responsibility for a child or from a court before taking the child abroad.

Taking a child abroad without permission is child abduction.

Get permission from someone with parental responsibility

You can use the 'authorisation form for travelling abroad with a minor' to show you have got permission to take them abroad. You should also bring associated documents (outlined in the form). This will speed your passage through border controls and avoid unnecessary delays and possibly missed flights.

Get permission from a court

You will need to apply to a court for permission to take a child abroad if you do not have permission from the other people with parental responsibility. Contact the International Child Abduction Center for more information about this procedure.

Check the age limit in the country you are travelling to

In the Netherlands, persons under the age of 18 years are considered minors. You need to contact the embassy or consular office of the country you are travelling to for information about the age limit up to which a person is considered a minor.

Individual advice

If you are not sure whether you need permission, check the International Child Abduction Center's website to find out what rules apply in your situation.