Travelling outside the Netherlands

Are you planning on going abroad? For Dutch nationals, an identity card is usually enough for travel within Europe. Outside Europe, you will need a passport. Some countries also require a visa.

Travelling to or within Europe

If you are a Dutch national you can travel to most countries in Europe, and to Turkey and Georgia, on a valid Dutch ID card. You do not need a passport. Find out whether this applies for your country of destination on (information in Dutch).

If this does apply, you can use your ID card as an alternative to a passport when entering or leaving the country (including at an airport or port) and for identification purposes during your stay. Outside the Netherlands your Dutch driving license is not valid proof of identity.

Travelling outside Europe

If you are a Dutch national and are travelling outside Europe, you must have a valid Dutch passport. Turkey and Georgia are exceptions – you can travel to these 2 countries on a valid Dutch ID card. Some countries require your passport or ID card to be valid for a certain number of months when you enter or leave the country.

Many countries outside Europe also require you to have a visa. You can apply at the embassy or consulate of your country of destination for a visa.

Which passport should I use if I have dual nationality?

If you have dual nationality (and therefore two passports) you can choose which passport you use. It is best to use the passport that has a visa for the Netherlands or another Schengen country.

Applying for a Dutch passport

If you are Dutch and currently living in the Netherlands, you can apply to the municipal authority where you are registered for a passport or identity card. If you are currently living in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, you can apply for your document at the Population Affairs Department (Afdeling Burgerzaken) or the Office of the Governor.

If you are Dutch but currently live in another country, you can apply for a passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate in the region where you live. You can also apply for a passport at 11 Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol airport.

Travelling with a residence permit

You have a residence permit and want to travel abroad. You need a valid residence permit, a travel document and in some cases also a visa. You can read more about travelling with a residence permit on the website of IND.