Complaints about the conduct of Marechaussee personnel
Find out how to complain about employees of the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee and how we deal with complaints.
Before you complain
Make sure the person you want to complain about is a Marechaussee officer. Marechaussee officers wear a light blue polo (page in Dutch). If the officer was not wearing this uniform, you should contact the relevant organisation such as the airport customer services department directly with your concerns.
Check you are in the right place before making a complaint to avoid any delays. Many issues can be resolved by contacting the correct department about your concern.
Complain about other areas of the Marechaussee
- Conduct of security officers during a check at a Dutch airport. Submit your complaint on the Complaints about security checks at airports page.
Other areas we do not deal with
- The refusal of permission to enter the Netherlands – please refer to your paperwork as this sets out how to appeal or seek an administrative review;
- Long queues at the security check. Submit your complaint to the airport;
- Luggage check upon your arrival in the Netherlands. Submit your complaint to Customs;
- Check-in process, baggage drop-off or ID check at the gate. Submit your complaint to the airline.
Problems with queues in the arrivals hall
Border security is our top priority. When flights are delayed or multiple flights arrive in a short space of time, it can take longer for passengers to go through our border security checks.
Why you may have been stopped
We are unable to comment on specific reasons for additional checks on travellers at the border. To request personal data held in the immigration and borders system, you will need to make a request.
We have a safeguarding duty and may need to ask you a few questions if you are travelling with a child under 18.
Issues using eGates
eGates may be temporarily closed for a number of reasons:
- It is more efficient for passengers to be checked by officers during quieter times;
- A gate may need an IT or system update
- A large group of passengers are arriving who can’t use the gates and officers need to carry out manual checks
Remember children under 16 years are not eligible to use eGates.
Make a complaint
You can file your complaint by using the complaint form below. We only accept written complaints that are in Dutch or English.
* Mandatory fields
Complaint by post
You can also send your complaint by post. To do so, send a letter to:
Staff of the Commander of the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee
PO Box 90200
3509 BE Utrecht
The Marechaussee will process your complaint if it contains the following information:
- Your name;
- Your postal address;
- Your telephone number;
- A clear description of the conduct of the Royal Marechaussee employee(s);
- The location and time of the event;
- If possible, the name of the employee(s) concerned;
- If sending a letter of complaint, mark the top left of the envelope with the word 'complaint'.