Complaints about security checks at airports
Find out how to complain about the conduct of private security officers during a check at a Dutch airport.
Before you complain
Make sure the person you want to complain about is a security officer. Security officers are employed by the airport. They are responsible for the security checks of departing passengers, airport personnel and hand luggage.
Check you are in the right place before making a complaint to avoid any delays. Many issues can be resolved by contacting the correct department about your concern.
Complain about other areas of the Marechaussee
- Passport control or the conduct of a Marechaussee employee. Submit your complaint on the Complaints about the conduct of Marechaussee personnel page.
Other areas we do not deal with
- Long queues at the security check. Submit your complaint to the airport;
- Luggage check upon your arrival in the Netherlands. Submit your complaint to Customs;
- Check-in process, baggage drop-off or ID check at the gate. Submit your complaint to the airline.
Make a complaint
You can file your complaint by using the complaint form below. We only accept written complaints that are in Dutch or English.
Send a letter
You can also send your complaint by post. The Civil Aviation Security Brigade will process your complaint if your letter includes the following information:
- Your name (initials, surname);
- Telephone number and/or email address;
- Date on which you sent the letter;
- Date of the incident;
- Time of the incident;
- Name of the airport;
- Flight number;
- The nature of your complaint (personal search, confiscation of goods, hand luggage check or how you were treated);
- Name and/or description of the security guard's appearance;
- Brief description of the security guard's conduct;
- Please do not forget to sign the letter.
Send your letter of complaint to:
Civil Aviation Security Brigade (BTBB)
P.O. Box 90200
3509 BE Utrecht
What happens next
You will get a response saying we have received your complaint. Complaints are managed by the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee’s Civil Aviation Security Brigade. They will make sure that your complaint is resolved in a satisfactory and timely manner.
If you are not satisfied with the response
If you are not satistied with the response, you may contact the National Ombudsman. Information about this procedure is available at www.nationaleombudsman.nl.