Recreational vessels

The Netherlands complies with the Schengen Borders Code at the external borders of the Schengen area. This Schengen Borders Code includes a reporting requirement for recreational shipping. This requirement applies each time you cross the external border, except when you are transiting Dutch territorial waters without entering a Dutch port.

Reporting requirements


Exceptions are unforeseen and exceptional circumstances or when the ship is less than 3 hours from a border crossing point. In that case, reporting must be done as soon as possible, so that an officer from the border crossing point can conduct an identity check.

Registering crew and passengers

Are you the captain of a:

  • recreational ship of less than 45 metres in length?

You have a duty to report. You must send an e-mail with at least the information from the crew manifest and passenger manifest to:

Single window

If your ship is not one of the above-mentioned types, you must register your passenger and crew details via Single Window for Maritime and Aviation. Single Window uses the Trade and Transport Gateway (HTG). With HTG electronic messages are exchanged.

You can register your information for Customs, Royal Netherlands Marechaussee/Seaport Police digitally via Single Window. You only need to do this once. The port authority will make sure that your report is passed on to the National Competent Authority SafeSeaNet via Single Window. The various government organisations will subsequently all receive your report.

The Royal Netherlands Marechaussee and the Seaport Police also use the Advanced Passenger Information System-3 (API-3). Information entered in Single Window will automatically be stored here. The data in the API-3 is compared to search lists and risk profiles.

Registering crew members or passengers with visa requirement

Crew members or passengers who require a visa must be registered:

Additional rules for recreational shipping

In addition to the above-mentioned reporting requirement, a number of specific rules apply to recreational shipping.

Dutch border crossing points

The crossing of the external borders of the Schengen area may be executed only at the official border crossing points (inbound and outbound) and during the official opening hours.