Travelling to the Netherlands

Do you not have Dutch nationality and are you travelling to the Netherlands soon? Find out what you need to arrange by using the Checklist for travellers to the Netherlands.

Passport control

Are you travelling from a non-Schengen country to the Netherlands? You will need to show your identity document at border control, such as your passport or national identity card.

You must:

  • have your identity document ready - remove it from a holder or wallet if you use one
  • remove your face covering or sunglasses, if you are wearing them
  • move through passport control together if you are in a family

If you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

You can use the EU, EEA & CH channel to get your passport or identity card checked - this is usually faster than the other channels.

If you are from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

Your passport (and visa if you have one) will be checked at border control. You will usually be asked why you are coming to the Netherlands.

Self-service passport control

eGates use facial recognition technology to check your identity against the photo in your passport. You can use the eGates if you are 16 years or older and have an e-passport from an eligible country. For more information, see Self-service passport control.

Travelling with a passport or ID card

You need to have a valid travel document in order to enter the Netherlands. This can be an identity card (for travel within Europe) or a passport. Depending on your nationality, you may also need a visa. Are you a national of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland? Then you must hold a passport or travel document issued within the last 10 years. Your travel document must also be valid for at least 3 months after you leave the Schengen area. Any children travelling with you must have their own, valid travel document.

Travelling with children

If you are travelling with a child under 18, you must be able to show that the child’s parent(s) has/have given you permission to do so. Check with the local authorities of your country of departure what the rules are for leaving the country with a minor. This will avoid delays and the risk that you will miss your flight.

Emergency passsport

Are you abroad and has your Dutch passport or ID card been lost or stolen? Abroad, you can apply for an emergency passport at a Dutch embassy or consulate. You will be issued with a Dutch laissez-passer if it is not possible to issue an emergency passport in time.


Whether or not you need a visa depends mainly on your nationality, destination and length of stay. Even if you do not need a visa, there are rules on travelling to the Netherlands without a visa. For more information, see Visa.